GATE Exam

GATE Exam
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

GATE Exam Overview

GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering examination is the most prestigious, national level entrance test which is jointly administered and organized by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) as well as seven Indian Institutes of Technology(IITs)  including IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Kanpur, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Roorkee, and IIT Madras on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Department of Higher Education, and Government of India.

Applicants who qualify GATE exam are eligible to get admission in various postgraduate courses like M. Tech or M.S in IISc or IITs or NITs with government approved scholarships and assistantships in engineering colleges or institutes or universities. GATE is also the qualifying window for various PSUs including IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC, Power Grid, etc.

Eligibility

To appear GATE exam, an applicant must have the following eligibility:

  • Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology
  • Bachelor’s degree in Architecture
  • Bachelor’s degree Four-year program in Science (B.S)
  • A master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications
  • Four-year integrated Master’s degree programs (Post-B. Sc.) in Engineering or Technology
  • Five-year integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology
  • Five-year integrated M.Sc. Or Five year integrated B.Sc. / M.Sc

Before Cutoff Marks

GATE 2017 Cut-Off Marks

Branch 2016 2017
General OBC SC/ST/PH General OBC SC/ST/PH
Electronics and Communication (EC) 25.00 22.50 16.60 25 22.5 16.6
Civil Engineering (CE) 28.70 25.8 19.10 25 22.5 16.7
Electrical Engineering (EE) 25.20 25.20 16.70 25.1 22.5 16.7
Mechanical Engineering (ME) 32.87 29 21 29.6 26.6 19.7
Computer Science & Information Technology (CS) 25 22.50 16.60 25 22.5 16.6
Instrumentation Engineering (IN) 34.60 31.10 23.00 31.6 28.4 21
Chemical Engineering (CH) 44.30 39.80 29.50
Biotechnology (BT) 38.90 35.00 25.90 26.4 23.7 17.5

Preparation

GATE is the gateway to various post graduation courses. Applicants applying for GATE exam should know the exam pattern, syllabus, and question patterns for each subject. Relevant materials, books, and regular coaching can be helpful.

Entrance Syllabus: (Subjects for Study)

The syllabus of GATE 2018 is completely based on the disciplines the applicants have studied in the qualifying exam. However, the topics which applicants should give more importance for GATE are Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, and selected subject paper.

Question Pattern

In the papers having codes like AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics carry 15% of the total marks, while General Aptitude section bear 15% of the total marks. The subject of the paper carries the remaining 70% of the total marks. Likewise, papers bearing codes like AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, and XL carry 15% mark for the General Aptitude section and 85% for the subject of the paper.

Colleges

  • IISc Bangalore
  • IIT Bombay
  • IIT Kanpur
  • IITs Delhi, Madras, Kharagpur, Roorkee, Guwahati, Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad, & Patna
  • NITs
  • Jadavpur University, Kolkata
  • Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata
  • Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
  • Delhi Technological University, Delhi
  • PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore

 (Data gathered from Internet Medias & individual observations)

 

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
December 12, 2017 / by / in

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Before you leave!

Subscribe and stay up to date about new exam and college updates.
SUBSCRIBE
Meritbud - Helps choosing in a glowing career.
Sign-up for weekly hot deals newsletter & instant access to last-minute deals.
Join
Updates