Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) Overview
The TANCET or Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test is one kind of eligibility exam which make eligible for post graduate courses such as M.E., M.Plan, M.C.A., M.Tech, and M.B.A. in colleges of Tamil Nadu India. This exam typically conducted by Anna University, Chennai, on behalf of the Govt of Tamil Nadu. The score gained in TANCET is accepted at any university, Regional Centres of Anna University, University Colleges of Engineering, as well as at Arts & Science Colleges, Government Aided Engineering Colleges, and Self-financing Colleges (Engineering, Arts & Science Colleges including stand-alone Institutions) in Tamil Nadu. Some universities and self- financing engineering colleges also accept TANCET scores.
- Rule 1: Nationality
Aspirants should be a citizen of the Tamil Nadu state because this is the State Level examination.
Applicants from other states can also apply for the exam subject to meeting the eligibility conditions prescribed by the University/ college, where she/he will be willing to take admission.
No NRI or Foreign candidates are eligible to apply for the examination.
- Rule 2: Age Limitation
No age boundary is there. Candidates of any age can apply for TANCET MBA.
- Rule 3: Qualification Criteria
Aspirant’s must have a bachelor’s degree which he completed within 3 years duration, passed with a minimum of 50% marks for the candidates those belongs to non-reserved categories and 45% marks for the reserved and other SC/ST category candidates.
Or should have a qualifying degree.
The final year students are also can appeared for the examination of the said qualifying degree course except courses obtainable by Professional institutions (like AMIE) during April/May 2017 can also apply for TANCET MBA in this year.
Define what is a Qualifying Degree
- 10+2+3 years pattern (or)
- 10+3 years Diploma +3 years pattern (or)
- B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch./B.Pharm. (or)
- (i) 10+2+AMIE* (or)
(ii) 10+3 years diploma (awarded by the State Board of Technical Education) + AMIE. *
Cut off marks of TANCET
|Group||TANCET MBA Cut Off|
|Scheduled Tribe or ST||22.5|
|Scheduled Caste or SC||23.5|
College wise cut off marks
- Vel Tech High Tech Dr. Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College, Chennai: 35
- Coimbatore Institute of Management and Technology, Coimbatore: 35.5
- Thiagarajar School of Management, Thirupparankundram: 35.5
- Gnanam School of Business, Sengipatti: 33
- JJ College of Engineering and Technology, Tiruchirappalli: 33.5
How to prepare for TANCET?
Prepare a timetable, follow it honestly. Do not make any kinds of excuses to run away from studying. Be focused it all the times. The routine will be very useful as it will help the students prepare for all the subjects equally.
Books to follow
- TANCET MBA – Anna University’ by E.S. Ramasamy
- Power System Analysis, T.K. Nagsarkar, M. S. Sukhija
- Numerical Methods’ by Srimanta Pal
- Quantitative Aptitude’ By R.S. Agarwal And S. Chand
- Reasoning Textbook’ By R.S. Agarwal And S. Chand
- Prepare thoroughly
- Practice with past question papers and gauge your competence with the papers so you know where you stand.
- TANCET MCA – Anna University’ by V.V.K. Subburaj
Syllabus for TANCET
- PART I ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS
- CIVIL ENGINEERING & GEO INFORMATICS
- PART II BASIC ENGINEERING & SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- Water Resources Engineering
- Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- MECHANICAL, AUTOMOBILE & AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING
- ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING AND INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING
- COMPUTER SCIENCE & ENGINEERING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- TEXTILE TECHNOLOGY
- Transportation Engineering
- Surveying and Remote Sensing
- LEATHER TECHNOLOGY
- PRODUCTION AND INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
Question pattern for MBA
|Topic Name||No. of questions|
Question pattern for M.C.A
Questions pattern for Engineering stream
|Subject||Number of Questions|
|Basic Engineering and Sciences||20|
|Part III (different for different courses)||60|
Colleges for TANCET
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode
- Erode Builder Educational Trust’s Group of Institutions, Kangayam
- Measi Institute of Management, Royapettah
- MOP Vaishnav College for Women, Chennai
- PSG Institute of Management, Coimbatore
- Sairam Institute of Management Studies, Chennai
- SNS College of Engineering, Coimbatore
- Thiagarajar School of Management, Thirupparankundram
- Veltech High Tech Dr. Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College, Chennai
- Vel Tech Ranga Sanku Arts College, Chennai
(Data gathered from Internet Medias & individual observations)